BEECHMONT AREA PROGRESS ASSOCIATION INC.
THE OLD SCHOOL, BEECHMONT
COMMUNITY UPDATE 18 APRIL 2019
• At the AGM 8th April 2019, a new management committee was elected.
• BAPA have held a series of management agreements on this site with Scenic Rim Council for over ten years. A new agreement with council is in draft and subject to further negotiation concerning responsibilities. When the new agreement is finalised there will be a public expression of interest process to invite new operators to work with BAPA and Council help manage the day to day community activities over this site and to re-open Headmasters House as a café, gallery, information centre, library/bookshop and ‘eat-local’ larder or food store.
• BAPA acknowledges all previous volunteers and the effort and ideas suggested to improve this site. Out refreshed vision to council will be based on the feedback from the public forum held here on February 12th and the hard work and ideas of previous volunteers going back to 1988. BAPA will be presenting the updated vision to council in the coming weeks. The vision and priorities will be posted on our website and here at the Headmasters House for all to understand and we hope, support.
• We hope to engage with the new Executive Management Team at Scenic Rim Council mid to late May, and soon after finalise the new management agreement or lease. The public EOI for the operation day to day across the site should follow soon after and we are all keen to have this settled by July.
• If you want to learn more, please follow the BAPA website and join BAPA!!
• A management committee meeting less than a week after the AGM last Sunday 14th April discussed priorities for the year ahead including the arrangements to open the Headmaster’s House over Easter 2019.
• A site inspection of the Headmaster’s House followed and the new committee wishes to acknowledge the hard work of BAPA volunteers Maurie, Glyn and Boris who have repainted internally most rooms funded by BAPA, working around the improvement works of new septic tank system, new male and female toilets and alterations to the wheelchair accessible toilet, funded by Scenic Rim Council who own this site.
• However, as you can all see the works are not quite finished and outstanding works include: new wood look cleanable floor laid over the existing (a Council initiative); the plugging of holes in the floors and store rooms to ‘vermin proof’; the reconnection of light circuits (the hallway lights are unconnected); a handrail on the steps to the new male and female toilets.
• Please take care walking through or using the seating within the house, open so you can see progress and test out the new facilities.
• Enjoy the markets thanks to the hard work of the market coordinator Di ….please buy lots of bacon and egg rolls or sausages at the BAPA BBQ or support the food outlets around the market. Coffee is organised thanks to ‘Coffee and our thanks to Anabel for stepping in to help at the last minute.
• Have a lovely Easter.
President – BAPA (just!)
On behalf of the Management Committee BAPA and members of BAPA.